Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Trying a new recipe on this snowy afternoon. "Chicken and Dumpling Soup"

I pulled boneless skinless chicken breast out of the freezer this morning. My husband will only eat the boneless...ain't no bones about that! I didn't decide until an hour ago, about what to make with it. The snow started falling, we are supposed to get 3-5 inches, and as I was gazing out the window...I thought mmmm chicken and dumplings sounds good, soup sounds good, hmmm. So, my new soup was born, here at my house anyway. I did a google search, and I won't be applying for a patent.

Chicken and Dumpling Soup

2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast- cut into chunks
1 T EVOO
1/4 tsp of each....oregano, celery salt, thyme, and my favorite "go to spice" McCormick Rotisserie Chicken spice.
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup frozen peas  (you can use whatever veggies you like)
6 cups water
4 chicken boullion cubes
2 T cornstarch
1   1/2 cups half and half

Dumplings
2 cups flour
1   1/2 cups ice water
1 T baking powder
1/8 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/8 tsp dried dill

In a stock pot, place oil, garlic, onion, and chicken. Sprinkle with spices, and cook over medium heat until chicken is done. Add water, boullion, carrots, and peas. Continue to cook over medium heat, while you prepare dumplings.
Mix flour, baking powder, ice water, parsley, and dill. Mix until a soft dough forms. Set dough aside to rest a minute (apparently its tired) In a seperate bowl, whisk cornstarch and half and half, pour into the soup. Bring soup to a boil.
Roll out your dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch, cut into strips, or squares. If you do not want to mess with a rolling pin, you can drop dough by teaspoon fulls into boiling broth. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Reduce heat and eat when you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment