Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lasagna Soup..Baby it's cold outside

Have you ever had Lasagna Soup? I love this recipe, and so does my family.  I first made this recipe 15 years ago when I was having my parents over for dinner, I wanted to please my dad who is a big lasagna fan. I have since made it hundreds of times, and its always a huge success...never have leftovers of this meal.

Lasagna Soup

1 lb ground chuck
1 small onion diced
1 tsp chopped garlic
6 cups of water
2 cans (14  1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes in olive oil, garlic, and spices, undrained
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
3 cups uncooked mafalda pasta (I get this at Marc's it's mini lasagna noodles use half of the package)
1  1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup Italian-style croutons
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In stock pot or dutch oven cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until beef is brown and onion is tender; drain. Stir in water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce until blended. Add seasoning and pasta. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender. Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and stir. Serve in your favorite soup bowls, and garnish with additional mozzarella and croutons.

1 comment: