Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Salisbury Steak, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and Steamed Broccoli

This is a very easy recipe that my friend Amy gave me. It makes alot, so you can freeze half for another time. I grew up in a comfortable home, and it reflects in what I serve my family...comfortable food.

Salisbury Steak
1 box Stovetop stuffing
1 lb ground chuck
1/2 cup water
2 jars brown gravy (I use one brown, and one mushroom, many people are not fans of mushrooms)
In a large bowl, pour water over stuffing, and mix until absorbed. Shape into patties and place in 9x13. Pour both jars of gravy on top, and cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
6 large potatoes
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp minced garlic (I use the jar garlic, but you can substitute fresh, or powder, or omit)
Sea Salt to taste.
Peel and cut into chunks, put in saucepan and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until fork tender. Drain, and place in large bowl with butter and garlic. Mash with a potatoe masher. Add milk and sea salt, and use electric mixer until fluffy.

Steamed Broccoli
1/2 head of broccoli, trimmed (my family does not like the stalks, I use the crowns)
Place trimmed broccoli in saucepan with one inch of water, cover and cook on medium heat until bright green in color. Drain and add 3 T butter and sea salt, cover until butter is melted.
Not only will my children not eat the stalks, the do not like mushy broccoli.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first post, should have done a little editing. Oh well blog and learn right? It was last nights dinner, with no complaints...yay me! I think tonight I will do a grilled chicken salad, basketball tonight and I can't make anything too heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to add a blurb about Butter, I use real butter, not margarine. My children won't even eat margarine, they think it taste funny, as it should. Fact: Margarine is but one molecule from being plastic. Snopes posted a Harvard Medical study stating: Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter. I also read and believe the nutrient dense qualities of butter (especially grass fed) outweigh the disadvanges of higher saturated fat and cholesteral levels.

    ReplyDelete